Play Works for Building Speech, Language & Social Connections
WHY PLAY WORKS FOR KIDS?
Children learn best and retain the most information when they engage their senses! Playing together is the most natural way for children to connect, get to know each other and have fun! It is also a child's best method for developing imagination as well as physical and social skills. Play allows children to develop social connections through expressing thoughts and feelings and offering opportunities for joint problem solving and success. Through play, children develop the neurological building blocks essential to further learning and growth. They form connections, build social and emotional skills, and develop positive long-term attitudes to discovery and learning. Play is not an alternative to learning. Rather, it provides the foundation for learning and has an important role in shaping a child’s capacity for, and attitude towards subsequent learning. All of our early occupational therapy and speech therapy services are provided within the context of play.
Play is a child's work.
It is through play that children can be engaged to interact with their environments, be motivated to challenge themselves, and participate in activities that will help them to engage in repetitive practice of difficult tasks. Play works as a tool for overall childhood development including language, cognition, social emotional development, self regulation skills, as well as fine and gross motor skills.
Play Works therapists have specialty training in the following areas:
- Early Start Denver Model (ESDM) for Young Children with Autism
- CASANA Advanced Training: recognized for clinical expertise in the evaluation and treatment of CAS
- Multisensory Approach for treating speech sound disorders
- Beckman Oral Motor Protocol for Assessment & Treatment of Oral Motor Difficulties
- Talk Tools Oral Placement Therapy
- Social Thinking Curriculum
- Sequential Oral Sensory (S.O.S.) Approach to Feeding
- Certified Kinesiotaping Practitioner (CKTP)
- Specialty Certification in Environmental Modifictions (SCEM)